7 Things the virus Doesn’t Want You to Know
Like any enemy adversary, this virus tries to lay bare any resistance to its domination. It’s up to you to fight back with the information you need to stay safe. Remember these seven key things that can help you to slay this dragon.
- I love it when you think I’m a hoax or media hype. When you don’t believe I exist, it makes you the most vulnerable and I can strike unimpeded.
- Wearing a mask can almost defeat me. It’s the single most effective tool in your arsenal against me. Though wearing a mask is the most important thing you can do to prevent my infection, there are still some who do not wear one. It is important to wear a mask correctly if you want to ensure its effectiveness against me: Make sure that it covers both the mouth and the nose, fits snugly across the face and has ear loops that can be comfortably secured.
- You’re harder to hunt when you’re safe inside your home, so I wait till you’re out and about in public and forget to keep socially distant. Smart people remember to keep the recommended six-foot radius of safe space between themselves and others who I may have already infected. Scientists estimate, on average, that it takes one infected person to infect another 3.3 people, so try to stay home, don’t go to public spaces like gyms and restaurants, and if you have to shop for groceries, go during off-peak hours. Always maintain a six-foot distance between yourself and others.
- I eagerly spread across unwashed hands. Regular handwashing is an effective way to prevent me but some people don’t use simple handwashing techniques to keep me at bay: Just wet your hands under running water and apply soap. Lather your hands together and scrub for at least 20 seconds then rinse thoroughly. Dry using a clean towel. If you can’t wash your hands, use a hand sanitizer—hand sanitizers are also effective in fighting bacteria and viruses. They are made according to World Health Organization production standards and are made with an ethanol alcohol base.
- I hate trying to keep up with all of the clever new safeguards invented to thwart me! It’s exhausting trying to bypass and work through all of the safeguards designed to keep me at bay. Clever people have invented top-quality masks, gloves, gowns, sanitizers and lots of other extremely protective gear with some of the best available from MedPPE. They have created a made-in-Canada solution to protecting health care professionals, as well as you, from me during these trying times.
- I don’t want you to strengthen your immune system against me. A growing body of current research shows that vitamin D might be crucial to protecting you from me. I know that if you have nutrient deficiencies, it can affect your immune system, and, according to the World Health Organization, a Vitamin D deficiency is suspected of
playing a role in the transmission of respiratory infections. Indeed, one study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association examined 489 individuals who were not only tested for the virus, but also had their vitamin D levels tested the previous year. Researchers found that 19 per cent of vitamin-D deficient individuals tested positive for the virus, versus only 12 per cent of patients who had adequate levels. Rates of vitamin D deficiency may be as high as 30% in people over 65. A supplement could help.
- I want to wear you down with virus fatigue! I know you’re annoyed living under the threat of me for so long. I also know that human nature will tire of a preventative regime that requires so much effort. I’ll get you when you start to suffer from virus fatigue and burnout and fail to undertake all the recommended precautions. Because I’m still going strong. If you start to think my threat is past just because I haven’t got you or your family yet, think again. Remember, don’t get overwhelmed, precautions work.